Porcelli History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Porcelli derives from the Italian word "porco," meaning "hog; " as such, it may have evolved from a nickname
for someone "pig-like" in some manner, or perhaps as an occupational
name for someone who worked with pigs.
Early Origins of the Porcelli family
The surname Porcelli was first found in Umbria, where the earliest recorded family bearing this name were a patrician family living in Gubbio in 1171. In 1290, soldier Arrigo di Porci took part in the destruction of Spolet, and his son Rodulfo was said to be lord of several of the King's castles. Leonardo Porcelli di Federico was a general in Monte Oliveto in 1516.
Early History of the Porcelli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Porcelli research.Another 47 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1351, 1449, 1478 and 1477 are included under the topic Early Porcelli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Porcelli Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Porcello, Porcelli, Porcellino, Porcellina, Porci and others.
Early Notables of the Porcelli family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Porcello di Arrigo, an army captain in Pisa in 1351. Nicolo Porcia was Senator of Rome a century later. Giacomo Porco was Bishop of Patti, and became Archbishop of Messina in 1449. A member of the Porcello family was the mayor of Cagli in... Another 74 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Porcelli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Porcelli family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Porcelli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alfredo Porcelli, aged 19, who settled in America from Naples, in 1906
- Angelo Raffaela Porcelli, aged 8, who emigrated to the United States from Apice, Italy, in 1909
- Antonetta Porcelli, aged 10, who landed in America from Apice, Italy, in 1909
- Alfredo Porcelli, aged 28, who landed in America from Bassiano, Roma, in 1909
- Aluovina Porcelli, aged 39, who landed in America from Barletta, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Porcelli (post 1700)
- Steven A. Porcelli, American scientist in the Lymphocyte Biology Section, Department of Rheumatology and Immunology, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts
- Fred Porcelli (b. 1920), American actor from Nassau, New York, known for All My Children (1970)
- Nicolas Porcelli, American actor and producer, known for Alien Rising (2013), Lost Soul (2009) and Honeysuckle (2010)
- Enzo Porcelli, Italian David di Donatello Award nominated producer and production manager, known for The Keys to the House (2004), Een vrouw van het noorden (1999) and Sergeant Klems (1971)
- Daniela Porcelli (b. 1961), Italian sprinter who competed in the women's 4 × 400 metres relay at the 1980 Summer Olympics
- Giovanni Tacci Porcelli (1863-1928), Italian Cardinal of the Roman Catholic Church, Secretary of the Congregation for Oriental Churches from 1922 to 1927
- Antonio Porcelli (1800-1870), Italian landscape painter
- Pietro Giacomo Porcelli (1872-1943), Italian-born, Australian sculptor who produced many statues and war memorials in Western Australia
Porcelli Family Crest Products