The Poppinga surname comes from the Germanic personal name
Poppo, Boppo, of uncertain origin and meaning.
Early Origins of the Poppinga family
The surname Poppinga was first found in Westphalia
, where the name Poppinga emerged in mediaeval times as one of the notable families of the region. From the 13th century the surname was identified with the great social and economic evolution which made this territory a landmark contributor to the development of the nation. This surname comes from a Germanic personal name
Poppo or Boppo of uncertain origin. It was a common given name among the counts of Henneberg and Babenberg in E. Frisia between the 9th and 14th centuries.
Early History of the Poppinga family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poppinga research.Another 156 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1277, 1280, and 1345 are included under the topic Early Poppinga History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Poppinga Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Popp, Poppe, Bopp, Bopf, Popper, Poppen, Poppinga, Poppel, Boppel, Popkema and many more.
Early Notables of the Poppinga family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Poppinga Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Poppinga family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poppinga Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter J. Poppinga, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States, in 1895
Poppinga Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carl-Helmuth Poppinga, aged 1, who landed in America from Bremen, Germany, in 1923
- Gerhard Poppinga, aged 23, who landed in America from Kiel, Germany, in 1923
- Helene Poppinga, aged 37, who settled in America from Bremen, Germany, in 1923
- Jakob Poppinga, aged 43, who landed in America from Bremen, Germany, in 1923
- Daniel Poppinga, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States from Greetsiel, Germany, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Poppinga (post 1700)
- Kelly Scott Poppinga (b. 1982), American football linebacker coach
- Brady Paul Poppinga (b. 1979), American football linebacker