Popovich History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Popovich surname is of Russian, Bulgarian, and Croatian origin, and is a patronymic from an occupational name. It comes from the Russian word "pop" meaning "priest," and the name generally means "son of the priest."
Early Origins of the Popovich family
The surname Popovich was first found in Russia, where the name originated in early times.
Early History of the Popovich family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Popovich research. Another 216 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1722, 1741, 1742, 1743, 1785, 1790, 1822, 1833, and 1894 are included under the topic Early Popovich History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Popovich Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Popov, Popoff, Popovich, Papatov, Popovic and many more.
Early Notables of the Popovich family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Popovich Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Popovich migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Popovich Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Andrew Popovich, who immigrated to Louisiana in 1860
- Lazar Popovich, who was naturalized in California in 1884
- Andrea Popovich, aged 50, who settled in America from Risana, in 1899
Popovich Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Blajo Popovich, aged 27, who immigrated to America from Teclic, Montenegro, in 1907
- Blazo Popovich, aged 19, who landed in America from Zagreda, Montengro, in 1907
- Egid Popovich, aged 17, who settled in America from Kaglevickkaza, Hungary, in 1907
- Gajo Popovich, aged 28, who immigrated to the United States from Zagreda, Montengro, in 1907
- Dovnica Popovich, aged 7, who immigrated to the United States from Castelnova, Austria, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Popovich (post 1700) +
- Zoran Popovich (b. 1931), senior judge on the Pennsylvania Superior Court
- Peter Stephen Popovich (1920-1996), American lawyer, politician, and judge from Minnesota
- Milton John Popovich (1915-2005), professional American football halfback
- Derek Popovich (b. 1981), midfielder who last played for American USL
- Erin Popovich (b. 1985), three-time United States Paralympic swimmer
- Paul Edward Popovich (b. 1940), infielder for the Chicago Cubs
- Gregg Popovich (b. 1949), American basketball coach
- Milt Popovich (1915-2005), former professional American NFL football player
- Peter S. Popovich, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1952 (alternate), 1956 
- Peter Popovich Sr., American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Minnesota, 1956 
- ... (Another 4 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +