Origins Available: Italian
The Ponti surname was taken on from any of the many place names in Italy called Ponte, or from places derived from the Italian word "ponte," which means "bridge." Local
names are derived from a place-name where the original bearer once resided or held land. Often Italian local
surnames bore the prefix "di," which signifies emigration from one place to another, but does not necessarily denote nobility.
Early Origins of the Ponti family
The surname Ponti was first found in Emilia-Romagna
. Although this name arose independently in various parts of Italy, the first recorded instances of the name found are of the Ponte di Venezi family, ennobled in 1297, who are said to be originally of Ferrara.
Early History of the Ponti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ponti research.Another 407 words (29 lines of text) covering the years 1440, 1442, 1560, 1693, 1385, 1438, 1512, 1595, 1418, 1495, 1560 and 1622 are included under the topic Early Ponti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ponti Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Ponte, Ponti, Da Ponte, Dal Ponte, Del Ponte, Pontello, Pontelli, Pontel, Ponticiello, Ponticelli, Pontillo, Pontini, Pontoni, Ponton, Pontiroli, Pontalti, Pontano, Pontormo and many more.
Early Notables of the Ponti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Giovanni dal Ponte (1385-c.1438), Italian, Florentine painter; as well as Giovanni Pontano, a 15th century humanist, poet, and diplomat from Cerreto who served three Kings of Naples; Antonio da Ponte (1512-1595), Italian architect and engineer from Venice
, most... Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ponti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ponti family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ponti Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ernestine Ponti, age 14, who arrived in America on May 1, 1880, aboard the "France"
Contemporary Notables of the name Ponti (post 1700)
- Edoardo Ponti (b. 1973), Italian-American director
- Erich Edward Ponti (b. 1965), American member of the Louisiana House of Representatives
- Gianluca De Ponti (b. 1952), Italian professional footballer
- Marco Ponti (b. 1967), prominent Italian film director
- Cassandra Ponti (b. 1982), Italian actress and reality TV contestant
- Gio Ponti (1891-1979), Italian architect and designer
- Carlo Ponti (b. 1912), Italian film producer
- Carlo Ponti (1820-1893), Italian (Swiss-born) inventor, photographer, and publisher
- Carlo Ponti (1823-1893), Swiss-born optician and photographer
- Michael Ponti (b. 1937), German pianist