100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Poli comes from the personal name Paolo, the Italian equivalent of Paul. The popularity of this name was originally due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Paoli, Paolo, Paola, Pauli, Poli, Polo, De Paoli, De Paolis, Paulich, Paolella, Paolillo, Paulillo, Pavolillo, Paoletti, Pauletti, Pauletto, Poletti, Poletto, Polet, Paolini, Paolin, Paolinelli, Paulini, Paulin, Polini, Pavolini, Paolucci, Paulucci, Polucci, Pauluzzi, Poluzzi, Paolicchi, Paolotti, Polotti, Polotto, Paolozzi, Paoloni, Paolone, Paulon, Poloni, Polon, Paolacci, Polacci, Paulazzi, Polazzi, Paolanti, Polato, Polesso, Paoleiri and many more.
First found in the port city of Genoa. Early records list the physician Gherardo de Paolo, as "one of the 12 wisest men in Genoa in 1315."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Poli research. Another 47 words (3 lines of text) covering the years 1798, 1837, 1419, 1603, 1681, 1642 and 1720 are included under the topic Early Poli History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 173 words (12 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Poli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Poli Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Giovanni Poli, aged 30, who emigrated to the United States, in 1894
Poli Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonio Poli, aged 38, who landed in America from Conco, Italy, in 1905
- Ackille Poli, aged 26, who landed in America from Endine, Italy, in 1909
- Eliseo Poli, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States from Stazzeina, Italy, in 1909
- Emodio Poli, aged 41, who settled in America from Verone, Italy, in 1909
- Germano Poli, aged 18, who emigrated to America from S. Aug. Rone, Italy, in 1911
- Jared Schutz Poli (b. 1975), American entrepreneur, philanthropist, and U.S. Representative
- Lorenzo Poli (b. 1990), Italian professional footballer
- Cesare Poli (b. 1945), retired Italian professional football player
- Piero Poli (b. 1960), Italian competition rower and Olympic champion
- Antonio De Poli (b. 1960), Italian politician
- Fausto Poli (1581-1653), Italian Roman Catholic prelate and Cardinal
- Eros Poli (b. 1963), Italian former professional racing cyclist
- Afro Poli (1902-1988), Italian operatic baritone
- Barbara Fusar Poli (b. 1972), Italian ice dancer
- Bernardo Poli (1915-1944), Italian professional football player
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani. Rome Istituto della Enciclopedia Italiana 56 volumesr. Print.
- Stiens, Robert E. Passenger list Italy to New York 1893 In Italian Genealogist. Torrance, CA: Augustan Society No 3, 1983. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Gheno, Antonio. Contributo alla Bibliografia Genealogica Italiana. Bologna: Forni, 1924. Print.
- Di Crollalanza, G.B. Dizionario Storico-Blasonico Delle Famiglie Nobili e Notabili Italiane 3 volumes. Pisa. Print.
- Battilana, Natale, Ed. Genealogie Dello Famiglie Nobili di Genova. Genova: Fratelli Pagano, 1825. Print.
- Fucilla, Josheph G. Our Italian Surnames. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0806311878).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Bascapè, Giacomo and Marcello del Piazzo. Insegne e Simboli Araldica pubblica e privata medievale e moderna. Rome: 1983. Print.
The Poli Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Poli Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 March 2015 at 04:12.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!