on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Austrian Pokorny family come from? What is the Austrian Pokorny family crest and coat of arms? When did the Pokorny family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Pokorny family history?The distinguished surname Pokorny is of Austrian origin. It is derived from the Polish word "pokorny," meaning "subservient, humble."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pokorny, Pockorny, Pockorni, Bockorni, Bockhorny and others.
First found in Austria, where the name was first used. During the 11th and 12th centuries, native Slavs living in Austria were often referred to as "Pokorny" by the native Austrians in an assertion of the victory of Otto the Great over the invaders. It is likely that the name evolved from nickname to surname during the early Middle Ages. Literally the name means "the humble one."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pokorny research. Another 191 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1653, 1867, 1794, 1729, 1794 and 1867 are included under the topic Early Pokorny History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pokorny Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: George Bockhorn, who was naturalized in New York in 1835; Francis Pokorny, who was living in Toronto, Ontario in 1871; Adolf Pokorny, who came to New York in 1872.
- Gene Pokorny, American tubist with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra since 1988
- Charles Pokorny, American Republican politician, Candidate for New York State Senate 7th District, 1936
- Frank R Pokorny (b. 1924), American state legislator
- Vladimír Pokorny (b. 1980), Czech footballer
- Petr Pokorny (b. 1975), Czech footballer
- Julius Pokorny (1887-1970), Austrian ling Uist and scholar of the Celtic languages, particularly Irish
- Hermann Pokorny (1882-1960), Moravian World War I Austro-Hungarian Army cryptologist whose work with Russian ciphers, member of the Hungarian Order of Vitéz
- Frantisek Xaver Pokorny (1729-1794), Czech Classical era composer and violinist
- Major Franciszek Pokorny, Polish Army officer who headed the Polish General Staff's Cipher Bureau
- Adolf Pokorny (b. 1895), German dermatologist
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Pokorny Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Pokorny Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 29 October 2015 at 14:29.
on orders of $85 or more