100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Plumley family come from? What is the English Plumley family crest and coat of arms? When did the Plumley family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Plumley family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Plumley, Plumbley, Plumbleigh, Plomley, Plombley and many more.
First found in Cheshire (now Cheshire East) at Plumley, a village and civil parish that dates back to 1119 when it was listed as Plumleia and literally meant "plum-tree wood or clearing," from the Old English words "plume" + "leah."  As far as the surname is concerned, it was first referenced in the year 1235 when Alexander Plomley held estates in Derbyshire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Plumley research. Another 377 words(27 lines of text) covering the years 1642, 1510, 1600, 1080, 1275, 1455, 1487 and 1633 are included under the topic Early Plumley History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Plumley Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Plumley Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Charles Plumley, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1682
Plumley Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Emily Plumley, aged 27, who landed in America, in 1894
- Miss Plumley, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States from London, in 1895
- Mrs. W. M. Plumley, aged 39, who landed in America, in 1897
- S. Plumley, aged 16, who landed in America, in 1897
Plumley Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Raymond L. Plumley, aged 60, who emigrated to America, in 1905
- E. Louise Plumley, who landed in America, in 1908
- Gilbert Plumley, aged 20, who settled in America from Shepson Mallet, England, in 1910
- Ellice Plumley, aged 23, who settled in America from London, England, in 1912
- Franklin Plumley, aged 19, who emigrated to the United States, in 1919
Plumley Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Edward Plumley arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Phoenix" in 1860
- J. R. Plumley arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Phoenix" in 1860
- Edwin A. Plumley arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Julia Plumley arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Emily J. Plumley arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Gertrude" in 1863
- Basil L Plumley (b. 1920), American Sergeant-Major of the US Army's 7th Cavalry Regiment
- Charles Albert Plumley (1875-1964), Republican U.S. Representative from Vermont
- Frank Plumley (b. 1844), Republican politician from Vermont
- Gary Plumley (b. 1956), English former professional footballer
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
The Plumley Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Plumley Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 July 2014 at 16:21.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!