Plott History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The Plott surname comes from the German word "plötz," a type of fish. As such, the surname may have evolved from a nickname for someone thought to resemble the fish, or as an occupational name for someone who caught or sold these fish.
Early Origins of the Plott family
The surname Plott was first found in Saxony, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Plott family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Plott research. Another 111 words (8 lines of text) covering the year 1790 is included under the topic Early Plott History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Plott Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Plotz, Plots, Plotze, Plotzes, Plotse, Plottz, Plotts, Plootz, Ploots, Plottzes, Blotz, Blots and many more.
Early Notables of the Plott family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Plott Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Plott migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Plott Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Plott, who landed in Maryland in 1651-1652 
- James Plott, who arrived in America in 1694
Plott Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Garret Plott, aged 36, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741 
- Gorg Plott, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1741 
- Johann Philips Plott, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1741 
Contemporary Notables of the name Plott (post 1700) +
- Charles Raymond Plott (b. 1938), American economist, Edward S. Harkness Professor of Economics and Political Science at the California Institute of Technology
- Sean Plott (b. 1986), American e-sports commentator for StarCraft II and a former professional StarCraft: Brood War player
- John Plott (1732-1803), English miniature-painter, born at Winchester; he began his career as a lawyer but turned to art after receiving some instruction in landscape from Richard Wilson, he xibited at the Royal Academy from 1772 to the end of his life
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)