Platen History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The roots of the distinguished surname Platen lie in Germany, and chronicles claim two different origins for this name. Some sources suggest the origin is found in the mediaeval German word for the maker of breast plates for armor. Other sources claim the name stems from the German word for "plateau."
Early Origins of the Platen family
The surname Platen was first found in Brandenburg, where the name was an integral part of a feudal society which would shape modern European history. Many prominent branches of the family would strive to make this name renowned as they contributed to the social, economic and political affairs of the region. One of the earliest known bearers of this name was the knight Otto cum Plata ("breast plate",) who lived at Ruegen around 1255.
Platten is an Ortsgemeinde (municipality) in the Bernkastel-Wittlich district in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany that dates back to at least 1084 when it was first listed as "villa Platana."
Early History of the Platen family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Platen research. Another 277 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1190, 1565, 1604, 1563, 1669, 1536, 1614, 1574, 1628, 1796 and 1835 are included under the topic Early Platen History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Platen Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Plath, Plathe, Plather, Plate, Plat, Plater, Platt, Platter, Platten, Platen, Platener, Platner, Plattener, Pletener, Plettener, Plaettner, Plaetner, Plaeth, Plathner, Plett, Pletter, Pletten, Pleten, Pleter, Plettner, Blate, Blatte, Blatten, Blath and many more.
Early Notables of the Platen family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the family name Platen during this time period were Thomas Platter, who was a prominent humanist from Basel. He began as an Alpine goatherder, then journeyed through Germany on foot and became a...
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Platen Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Platen migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Platen Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Erhardt Platen, aged 37, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1848 
- Anna Platen, aged 21, who landed in America, in 1894
- Carl Platen, aged 25, who immigrated to America, in 1895
- Valter Platen, aged 4, who settled in America from Valdern, in 1896
Platen Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Paula Platen, aged 24, who landed in America from Wilhelmshaven, Germany, in 1912
- Harst Platen, aged 28, who landed in America from Wilhelmshaven, Germany, in 1912
- Josef Platen, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States, in 1920
Contemporary Notables of the name Platen (post 1700) +
- Carl Constantin Platen (1843-1899), German physician and zoological collector of birds
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)