Early Origins of the Pillitteri family
The surname Pillitteri was first found in Messina (Sicilian: Missina; Latin: Messana), capital of the Italian province of Messina. Its history begins in 397 B.C. After a checkered history the Saracens took it in 831, and the Normans
in 1061. It was host to the crusaders in 1190. Garibaldi landed in 1860 and it was the last city to be made a part of united Italy. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Pillitteri family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pillitteri research.Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1191, 1468 and 1814 are included under the topic Early Pillitteri History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pillitteri Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pelliccia, Pelliccio, Pellicci, Pellizzi, Pellizzaro, Pelizzari, Pelizzeri, Pillitteri, Pelliteri and many more.
Early Notables of the Pillitteri family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pillitteri Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pillitteri family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pillitteri Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Caterina Pillitteri, aged 20, who arrived in America, in 1896
- Antonio Pillitteri, aged 0, who arrived in America from Buaquina, in 1899
Pillitteri Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Biagio Pillitteri, aged 10, who arrived in America from Bisacguino, Sicily, in 1906
- Antonino Pillitteri, aged 22, who arrived in America from Bisacguino, Sicily, in 1906
- Antonino Pillitteri, aged 40, who arrived in America from Camposirito, Palermo, in 1909
- Giovanni Pillitteri, aged 18, who arrived in America from Camposirito, Palermo, in 1909
- Camela Pillitteri, aged 43, who arrived in America from Serradifalco, Sicily, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Pillitteri (post 1700)
- Adele Pillitteri, American author, known for her book Maternal and Child Health Nursing: Care of the Childbearing and Childrearing Family
- Gary Orazio Vincenzo Pillitteri (b. 1936), Italian-born, Canadian farmer, businessman and politician, founder Pillitteri Estates Winery, Member of Parliament for Niagara Falls (1993-2004)