The Pezza surname is ultimately derived from the medieval Latin word "pecia," or "petia," meaning "piece," sometimes a piece of cloth, sometimes a silver coin. As a surname it is thought to have been taken on as a habitational name from any of numerous places so named, such as Pezzana, Piedmont
. Some of these place names may be derived from the word "pez," which refers to a "scotch pine."
Early Origins of the Pezza family
The surname Pezza was first found in Verona where the Pezza family were listed amongst the nobility of that city. Variations of this name were also found early in the South: the del Pezzo family of Naples and Sorrento are first recorded in the twelfth century with Stanislao del Pezzo, in the year 1109. This family was granted the title of "marchesi di Civitaretenga."
Early History of the Pezza family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pezza research.Another 231 words (16 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pezza History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pezza Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pezzo, Pezza, Pezzini, Pezzani, Pezzetti and many more.
Early Notables of the Pezza family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pezza Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pezza family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pezza Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna Pezza, aged 4, who emigrated to America from Valle Agricola, Caserta, Italy, in 1907
- Filomeno Pezza, aged 9, who landed in America from Valle Agricola, Caserta, Italy, in 1907
- Francesco Pezza, aged 16, who emigrated to the United States from Pico, Italy, in 1907
- Casimiro Pezza, aged 45, who landed in America from Candelo, Italy, in 1909
- Domonico Pezza, aged 4, who settled in America from Valle Anicola, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Pezza (post 1700)
- Vicky Pezza (b. 1981), American producer and writer from Livingston, New Jersey, best known for her work on Star Trek (2009)
- Francis J. Pezza, American art director, best known for his work on Big Fat Liar (2002), and Outbreak (1995)
- Patrizia Pezza, Italian actress
- John Pezza (b. 1952), Italian fencer who competed at the 1976 Summer Olympics