Pettengill History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Pettengill family
The surname Pettengill was first found in Oxfordshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held estates in that shire when Symon Petingal held lands in 1278.
Early History of the Pettengill family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pettengill research. Another 98 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1569, 1607, 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Pettengill History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pettengill Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Petingale, Pettengill, Pettingale, Pettengill, Pettingall, Petnal, Pettnall, Pettnel, Pettinell, Pettinall, Pettengell and many more.
Early Notables of the Pettengill family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pettengill Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Pettengill is the 10,858th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Pettengill migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pettengill Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Mrs. A. L. Pettengill, aged 64, who arrived in America, in 1905
- N.B. Pettengill, aged 45, who arrived in America, in 1908
- Helen Pettengill, aged 31, who arrived in America, in 1911
- Clarence Pettengill, aged 36, who arrived in America, in 1911
- Arthur J. Pettengill, aged 26, who arrived in America, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Pettengill (post 1700) +
- Dawn Pettengill (b. 1955), American politician, Member of the Iowa House of Representatives (2005-)
- Samuel Barrett Pettengill (1886-1974), American politician, U.S. Representative from Indiana
- Gordon Pettengill (b. 1926), American radio astronomer and planetary physicist, eponym of the 3831 Pettengill (1986 TP2) main-belt asteroid
- Todd Clark Pettengill, American radio disc jockey for WPLJ 95.5 in New York
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm