Hereditary family names gradually came into usage in Italy beginning in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames
were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The surname Petronio came from the personal name
Pietro, which is itself from the Latin "Petrus," and the Greek "Petros," meaning "rock."
Early Origins of the Petronio family
The surname Petronio was first found in throughout Italy, although they most frequently appear in the southern Italian regions of Puglia and Sicily
. One line of Petroni di Siena were on record from the 13th century.
Early History of the Petronio family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Petronio research.Another 21 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1313, 1401, 1451, 1677, 1755 and 1452 are included under the topic Early Petronio History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Petronio Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Petroni, Petronella, Petrella, Petrelli, Petronilla and many more.
Early Notables of the Petronio family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Riccardo Petroni, a Cardinal in Siena in 1313; Cola Petruccioli, a painter in Perugia in 1401 whose works can be seen at the Cathedral... Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Petronio Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Petronio family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Petronio Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Filippo Petronio, aged 35, who emigrated to America from Palermo, Sicily, in 1908
- Antonino Petronio, aged 54, who landed in America from Palermo, Palermo, in 1909
- Angela Petronio, aged 31, who emigrated to the United States from Ansonia, Italy, in 1910
- Donato Petronio, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Castel del Monte, Italy, in 1910
- Emiolio Petronio, aged 29, who landed in America from Castel Del Monte, Italy, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)