Hereditary family names gradually came into usage in Italy beginning in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames
were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The surname Petrini came from the personal name
Pietro, which is itself from the Latin "Petrus," and the Greek "Petros," meaning "rock."
Early Origins of the Petrini family
The surname Petrini was first found in throughout Italy, although they most frequently appear in the southern Italian regions of Puglia and Sicily
. One line of Petroni di Siena were on record from the 13th century.
Early History of the Petrini family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Petrini research.Another 21 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1313, 1401, 1451, 1677, 1755 and 1452 are included under the topic Early Petrini History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Petrini Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Petroni, Petronella, Petrella, Petrelli, Petronilla and many more.
Early Notables of the Petrini family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Riccardo Petroni, a Cardinal in Siena in 1313; Cola Petruccioli, a painter in Perugia in 1401 whose works can be seen at the Cathedral... Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Petrini Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Petrini family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Petrini Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alturo Petrini, aged 26, who landed in America from Lornari, Italy, in 1907
- Antonio Petrini, aged 16, who emigrated to the United States from Lan Colombano, Italy, in 1907
- Anna Petrini, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from San Guisto, Italy, in 1908
- Carlo Petrini, aged 22, who landed in America from S. Giusto, Italy, in 1909
- Antonio Petrini, aged 26, who landed in America from Porto S. Giorgio, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Petrini (post 1700)
- Carlo Petrini (b. 1965), Italian scientist and senior researcher at the Italian National Institute of Health
- Elena Maria Petrini (b. 1992), professional Italian triathlete
- Carlo Petrini (b. 1949), Italian founder of the International Slow Food Movement
- Carlo Petrini (1948-2012), Italian professional football player and coach
- Hilda Catharina Petrini (1838-1895), Swedish watchmaker