Petrelli History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Hereditary family names gradually came into usage in Italy beginning in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The surname Petrelli came from the personal name Pietro, which is itself from the Latin "Petrus," and the Greek "Petros," meaning "rock."
Early Origins of the Petrelli family
The surname Petrelli was first found in throughout Italy, although they most frequently appear in the southern Italian regions of Puglia and Sicily. One line of Petroni di Siena were on record from the 13th century.
Early History of the Petrelli family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Petrelli research. More information is included under the topic Early Petrelli History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Petrelli Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Petroni, Petronella, Petrella, Petrelli, Petronilla and many more.
Early Notables of the Petrelli family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Riccardo Petroni, a Cardinal in Siena in 1313; Cola Petruccioli, a painter in Perugia in 1401 whose works can be seen at the Cathedral...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Petrelli Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Petrelli family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Florindo Petroni, who settled in California in 1888; Frank Petrella, who came to New York sometime between 1884 and 1925; Francisco Petrenella of Calvello, Italy, who arrived at Ellis Island on Nov 8, 1900 aboard the ".
Contemporary Notables of the name Petrelli (post 1700) +
- Giuseppe Petrelli (1873-1962), Italian prelate of the Catholic Church who served in the diplomatic service of the Holy See in Asia
- Valentino "Tino" Petrelli (1922-2001), better known as Tino, an Italian photographer
- Sergio Petrelli (b. 1944), former Italian footballer who played as a defender
- Italo Petrelli, Italian silver medalist bobsledder at the 1954 FIBT World Championships in Cortina d'Ampezzo
- Elia Petrelli (b. 2001), Italian footballer who plays as a forward for Italian club Juventus U23
Related Stories +