Hereditary family names gradually came into usage in Italy beginning in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames
were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The surname Petrella came from the personal name
Pietro, which is itself from the Latin "Petrus," and the Greek "Petros," meaning "rock."
Early Origins of the Petrella family
The surname Petrella was first found in throughout Italy, although they most frequently appear in the southern Italian regions of Puglia and Sicily
. One line of Petroni di Siena were on record from the 13th century.
Early History of the Petrella family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Petrella research.Another 21 words (2 lines of text) covering the years 1313, 1401, 1451, 1677, 1755 and 1452 are included under the topic Early Petrella History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Petrella Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Petroni, Petronella, Petrella, Petrelli, Petronilla and many more.
Early Notables of the Petrella family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Riccardo Petroni, a Cardinal in Siena in 1313; Cola Petruccioli, a painter in Perugia in 1401 whose works can be seen at the Cathedral... Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Petrella Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Petrella family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Florindo Petroni, who settled in California in 1888; Frank Petrella, who came to New York sometime between 1884 and 1925; Francisco Petrenella of Calvello, Italy, who arrived at Ellis Island
on Nov 8, 1900 aboard the ".
Contemporary Notables of the name Petrella (post 1700)
- Ian Petrella (b. 1974), 80s American child actor
- Marina Petrella (b. 1954), former member of the paramilitary Italian left wing group the Red Brigades Biography
- Vito Petrella (b. 1965), retired Italian sprinter
- Clara Petrella (1914-1987), Italian operatic soprano
- Enrico Petrella (1813-1877), famous operatic composer from Palermo who composed 25 operas in his life, his first accomplished at age 16
- Ivan Petrella (b. 1969), Argentine social theorist and liberation theologian