Peretti History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Peretti can be traced back to the ancient and beautiful region of Piedmont. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they were characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most common type of family name found in the region of Piedmont is the patronymic surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Peretti came from the personal name Pietro, or Peter, which is itself derived from the Greek word petrus meaning rock.
Early Origins of the Peretti family
The surname Peretti was first found in Piedmont (Italian: Piemonte, Piedmontese and Occitan: Piemont), where Giuseppe Peracchio, was listed as a brave soldier during the 11th century.
Early History of the Peretti family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Peretti research. More information is included under the topic Early Peretti History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Peretti Spelling Variations
Enormous variation in spelling and form characterizes those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. This is caused by two main factors: regional tradition, and inaccuracies in the recording process. Before the last few hundred years, scribes spelled names according to their sounds. Spelling variations were the unsurprising result. The variations of Peretti include Perri, Peri, Perrico, Perotti, Perotta, Perracco, Perracho, Perrachino, Perrachini, Peracchio, Perrachio, Perotti, Perricone, Peracca, Perachis, Peracini, Peraga, Perazzo, Peralta, Peralto, Perolto, Peretti, Peretto, Perini, Perino and many more.
Early Notables of the Peretti family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Niccol Perolto, a 15th century humanist from Fano who specialized in Latin and Greek translation. Antonio and Pietro Peracchio received the castle of Pieve di Livone in 1536; from this same family, Antonio and Michele Peracchio were officially recognized as noblemen and were given the castle of Pia in 1408. The Peralta family in Sicily possessed over 8 feudal territories, and 11 other lands. Guglielmo Peralta was President of Sicily as well as Grand Chancellor and Treasurer. Also prominent was a Peretti of Montalto, who in 1585 was elected Pope with the new name...
Another 149 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Peretti Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In France, the name Peretti is the 3,333rd most popular surname with an estimated 2,000 - 2,500 people with that name. 
Migration of the Peretti family
Immigrants bearing the name Peretti or a variant listed above include: Joseph Pierri, who was a Mercenary in America in 1777, Giuseppe-Antonio Perri, who traveled aboard the ship Orsola from Palermo, arriving in New York in 1882, Angelo Perri, who arrived in New York with his children Frank, Rose, Josephine, Velma and his wife Maggie in 1900, and Franco Perrico, who arrived in New Orleans in 1820 at the age of 21..
Contemporary Notables of the name Peretti (post 1700) +
- Jonah Peretti (b. 1974), American Internet entrepreneur, co-founder and the CEO of BuzzFeed,co-founder of The Huffington Post
- Steven Peretti (b. 1956), American author, cartoonist
- Frank E. Peretti (b. 1951), American novelist
- Cynthia Peretti (1948-2009), American professional wrestler and trainer, known by her ring name Princess Jasmine
- Chelsea Vanessa Peretti (b. 1978), American comedian, actress, and writer from Contra Costa County, California
- Roberto Peretti (b. 1966), Italian short track speed skater
- Carlo Peretti (1930-2018), Italian bronze medalist water polo player who competed in the 1952 Summer Olympics
- Count Aldo Maria Brachetti- Peretti (b. 1932), Italian businessmen from a prominent family in Marche, Chairman of the Italian company, API Group
- Elsa Peretti OMRI (1940-2021), Italian jewelry designer, fashion model and philanthropist from Florence, best known for her work with Tiffany & Co
- Ugo Brachetti Peretti (b. 1965), Italian oil executive, son of Count Aldo Maria Brachetti Peretti
- ... (Another 9 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ http://www.journaldesfemmes.com/nom-de-famille/nom/