Perera History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Perera is of local origin, that is, it is a surname derived from the place of origin of the initial bearer. In this case, the surname is derived from one of several places so named in Portugal. The name is derived from the Spanish word "Pera," which means "pear."
Early Origins of the Perera family
The surname Perera was first found in Northern Portugal near the Spanish border. The ancestors of the bearers of this name are thought to descend from Don Mendo "irmao" of Desiderio, King of the Lombards. After a great storm at sea, five of his knights arrived at a port in Galicia, Spain in 740. One of the earliest records of the surname is of Don Alvaro Pires de Castro, who, in 1177 was given lands in Palmeira in the province of Entre Douro by King Sancho I.
Early History of the Perera family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Perera research. Another 64 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1360, 1431, 1383, 1385, 1433, 1588, 1683, 1535, 1610, 1591, 1954, 1655, 1645 and 1708 are included under the topic Early Perera History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Perera Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pereira, Perera, Perreira and others.
Early Notables of the Perera family (pre 1700)
Prominent members of the family include Pedro Homem Pereira, the 17th and last Captain-major of Portuguese Ceylon (1591-1954); Marcos Soares Pereira (died 1655), a Portuguese composer...
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Perera Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Perera is the 13,190th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name.  However, in Australia, the name Perera is ranked the 727th most popular surname with an estimated 5,353 people with that name. 
Perera migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Perera Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Isaac Perera, who landed in America in 1679 
Perera Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Bernarda Perera, who settled in New Orleans from the Canary Islands in 1779
Perera Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alonso Perera, who arrived in Venezuela in 1834 
- Lorenza Perera, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1857 
Contemporary Notables of the name Perera (post 1700) +
- Bethann Perera, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Georgia, 2008 
- Cyril C. Perera (1923-2016), Sri Lankan author
- José Jesús Perera López (b. 1980), Spanish footballer
- Suresh Perera (b. 1978), Sri Lankan cricketer
- Franck Perera (b. 1984), French race car driver
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ https://forebears.io/australia/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 17) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html