Early Origins of the Pennycuech family
The surname Pennycuech was first found in Midlothian
, where the family claim descent from the barony Penicuik. "The present name of this place is supposed to be derived from a British or Gaelic word signifying "Cuckoo's hill;" and as several places in the neighbourhood also received their epithets from this bird, it is probable that it was a frequent visitor in these quarters. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
New Hall (New-Hall) lies on the border of a desolate moor, and was passed from the families of Crichtoune, Penicuick, and Oliphant. "The first of the family in record is William de Penycook, one of the persons directed to fix the extent of the lands of Lethenhop in the reign of Alexander II." CITATION[CLOSE]
Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
David de Penikok witnessed a charter of the lands of Inuerpefir in 1250.
Early History of the Pennycuech family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pennycuech research.Another 223 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1296 and 1604 are included under the topic Early Pennycuech History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pennycuech Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pennycook, Penecuik, Pennecuik, Pennicuik, Pencook, Pennycyck and many more.
Early Notables of the Pennycuech family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Pennycuech Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pennycuech family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: John Pennycoake, who settled in Maryland in 1671; John Pennycook arrived in Pennsylvania in 1811; Robert Pennycook, who arrived in Jamaica in 1820; Alexander Pennycook, who arrived in Morgan Co., IL in 1834.
The Pennycuech Motto
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Ut resurgam
Motto Translation: That I may rise again.