Early Origins of the Pennella family
The surname Pennella was first found in Bolgna (Latin: Bononia), the largest city and the capital of Emilia-Romagna
Region. The famous University of Bolgna was founded in the 11th century, by the 13th century the student body was nearly 10,000. Dante and Petrarch studied there. Tisso was tried there for 1564 for writing satirical poems. Bologna naturally, is famous for its sausages. But many noted scholars were born there. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor.The Pinelli-Walckenaer Atlas dated 1384 was in the possession of the Pinelli family of Venice
for many years, until it was purchased in 1790 by the Baron
Charles Athanase Walckenaer of Paris.
Early History of the Pennella family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pennella research.Another 337 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1359, 1575, 1846, 1680, 1745, 1535, 1601 and 1640 are included under the topic Early Pennella History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Pennella Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Pineiro, Pini, Pinelli, Pinello, Pinesso, Pinato, Pinna, Penna, Penniello, Pennarola, Pennino, Pani, Panello and many more.
Early Notables of the Pennella family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Francesco Orazio Olivieri della Penna (1680-1745), a Capuchin missionary to Tibet who became prefect of the Tibetan Mission. Gian Vincenzo Pinelli (1535-1601) was... Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pennella Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Pennella family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pennella Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Domenico Pennella, aged 40, who settled in America, in 1892
- Antonio Pennella, aged 15, who landed in America, in 1897
Pennella Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Carmine Pennella, aged 27, who landed in America from Melfi, Italy, in 1911
- Alessandro Pennella, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States from Morro Trp., Italy, in 1913
- Angela Pennella, aged 18, who landed in America from Morra Irpino, Italy, in 1920
- Angelo Pennella, aged 21, who emigrated to America from Morra Irpina, Italy, in 1921
- Antonio Pennella, aged 24, who emigrated to the United States from Morra Ippino, Italy, in 1924
Contemporary Notables of the name Pennella (post 1700)
- Joseph Pennella, American cinematographer and television director
- Giulia Pennella (b. 1989), Italian hurdler