Papp History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Papp family
The surname Papp was first found in Piedmont (Italian: Piemonte, Piedmontese and Occitan: Piemont), a territorial division of northern Italy at the foot of the Alps consisting of the provinces of Alessandria, Cuneo, Novara and Turin. Later Aosta and Vercelli were added and still later, Asti. History is related back to 49 B.C. The house of Savoy rose in 1000 A.D. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry. The first record of the family was in 1280 when the senior member of the family was the Count di Costiglioni in Piedmont or Piemonte.
Early History of the Papp family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Papp research. Another 109 words (8 lines of text) covering the year 1311 is included under the topic Early Papp History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Papp Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pappa, Papa, Pappas, Papacizza, Papacoda, Papadopoli, Papafava, Paparato, Paparatti and many more.
Early Notables of the Papp family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Papp Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Papp migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Papp Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Alexander Papp, who settled in Philadelphia in 1840
- John Papp, who arrived in Texas in 1850-1906 
- Friedrich Papp, who settled in New Orleans in 1851
- Eugune Papp, who arrived in New Orleans sometime between 1868 and 1898
- Alex Papp, who arrived in Ashtabula Co. Ohio sometime between 1875 and 1906
Papp Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Catharina Papp, who settled in Philadelphia in 1910
- Demeter Papp, who arrived in Illinois in 1930
Contemporary Notables of the name Papp (post 1700) +
- Joseph M. Papp (b. 1975), American professional cyclist
- George Edward Papp (1916-1989), American comics artist, one of the principal artists on the long-running Superboy feature for DC Comics
- Daniel S. Papp (b. 1948), American scholar of international affairs and policy, President of Kennesaw State University (2006-2016)
- Admiral Robert J. Papp (b. 1953), American Naval officer, 24th Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard (2010-2014), United States Special Representative for the Arctic (2014-2017)
- Joseph Papp (1921-1991), American theatrical producer and director
- László Papp (1926-2003), Hungarian Olympic boxer, five-time gold medalist
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)