100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Pantoja family come from? What is the Spanish Pantoja family crest and coat of arms? When did the Pantoja family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Pantoja family history?The distinguished Spanish surname Pantoja is of toponymic origin, deriving from the place-name where the first bearer lived or held land. In this instance, the surname Pantoja derives from the place-name "Pantoja." The Pantoja name is derived from the Greek word "panthos" which signifies "all gods," however some etymologists suggest the name derives from the Mozarabic "panucea" meaning "spindle of yarn."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Pantojo, Pantoyo, Pantajo and others.
First found in the province of Toledo, in the region of Castilla la Nueva, in central Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Pantoja research. Another 169 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1551, 1608 and 1701 are included under the topic Early Pantoja History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 123 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Pantoja Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Pantoja Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Pascasio Pantoja, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1803
- Rodrigo Pantoja, who arrived in Nombre de Dios, Panama in 1835
- Hernan Pantoja, who arrived in America in 1836
Pantoja Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Serapio Pantoja, aged 22, who landed in America from Havana, in 1906
- Christina Pantoja, aged 22, who settled in America from Havana, Cuba, in 1917
- Juan Antonio Pantoja, aged 23, who emigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Efrain Pantoja, aged 23, who landed in America from Tampico, Mexico, in 1919
- Juan Pantoja, aged 23, who settled in America, in 1919
- Juan Pantoja (1553-1608), Spanish painter
- Diego de Pantoja (1571-1618), Spanish Jesuit and missionary to China
- Isabel Pantoja (b. 1956), popular contemporary Spanish singer
- Antonio Pantoja (b. 1948), Puerto Rican actor, comedian, dancer
- Cristina Pantoja (b. 1944), award-winning Filipina fictionist, critic and pioneering writer
- Alexandre Pantoja, Brazilian professional mixed martial artist who competes in the flyweight division
- Dr. Antonia Pantoja (1922-2002), Puerto Rican-born, American educator, social worker, feminist, civil rights leader and recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Pantoja Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Pantoja Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 May 2015 at 11:00.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!