Panizza History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Venice, one of the oldest and most beautiful regions of Italy, is the esteemed birthplace of numerous prominent families, and of a family that bears the surname Panizza. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for them to adopt a second name to identify themselves, as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Panizza was a surname derived from an occupation. Occupational surnames, which are less common than other types of surnames in Italy, date back to the feudal era. The surname Panizza is an occupational name for a a baker, or someone who sold bread having been derived from the Italian word "pane," which means "bread" and from the Latin "panis," with the root of the meaning being derived from the verb "to feed or nourish."
Early Origins of the Panizza family
The surname Panizza was first found in Bolgna (Latin: Bononia), the largest city and the capital of Emilia-Romagna Region. Earliest records are found with the famous and powerful Panico family, with Count Alberto in 1068.
Important Dates for the Panizza family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Panizza research. More information is included under the topic Early Panizza History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Panizza Spelling Variations
There are many variations of most of those Italian names that originated in the medieval era. Some of these come from regional differences, like the tradition of ending northern names in "o" and southern names in "i". Others come from inaccuracies in the recording process, which were extremely common in the eras before dictionaries standardized spelling. Some of the spelling variations of Panizza are Pane, Pani, Lo Pane, Lopane, Panelli, Panello, Panella, Panetti, Panetta, Panozzo, Panacci, Paniccia, Panizza, Pannain, Panormo, Pandone, Panizzi, Paniza, Panizzoni, Panini, Pannini, Panici, Panico and many more.
Early Notables of the Panizza family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Ugolino Panico, Lord of over 20 territories during the 13th century; Porcelio Pandone, a humanist in Naples in 1405; Franceschino and Francesco Panizzoni were famous doctors in Florence during the 15th century; Francesco Panizzoni was mayor of Candia di Lomellina in 1487; Marsiglio Panizzoni was mayor of Piacenza in 1400; Giambattista Pannini was a Count, was Duke of Mantua, as well as a...
Another 69 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Panizza Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Panizza migration to the United States
An inquiry into the early roots of North American families reveals a number of immigrants bearing the name Panizza or a variant listed above:
Panizza Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Bortolo Panizza, aged 25, who settled in America from Vermiglio, Italy, in 1907
- Cesare Panizza, aged 22, who landed in America from Masso Superiore, Italy, in 1908
- Giovanni Panizza, aged 37, who settled in America from Cassine, Italy, in 1909
- Ermenegildo Panizza, aged 21, who landed in America from Sannicandro, Italy, in 1910
- Emilio Panizza, aged 9, who immigrated to America from Borgomanero, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Panizza (post 1700)
- Wladimiro Panizza (1945-2002), Italian bicycle racer
- Bartolomeo Panizza (1785-1867), Italian anatomist, eponym of "Panizza's plexuses"
- Oskar Panizza (1853-1921), German psychiatrist and author
- John Panizza (b. 1931), Australian politician, Senator for Western Australia (1987 to 1997)
- Ettore Panizza (1875-1967), Argentinean conductor and composer admired by Richard Strauss
- Darrell Panizza (b. 1959), Australian footballer and coach