Palmquist History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German name Palmquist arose from some distinct sources. In some instances, it evolved from the medieval personal name Palmatius, borne by a saint who died in 286. The name also derives from the Middle High German word "palme," or "balme," denoting a pussy willow, the tree that was traditionally used to provide the branches for Palm Sunday processions. In this instance, the name was likely originally used by someone who lived among such trees.
Early Origins of the Palmquist family
The surname Palmquist was first found in Bavaria, where the name Palm was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Early History of the Palmquist family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Palmquist research. Another 138 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1712, 1735, and 1783 are included under the topic Early Palmquist History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Palmquist Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Palm, Balm, Palmarol, Palme, Palmenbach, Palmenberg, Palmer, Palmfelt, Palmier, Palmstein, Palmstrauch, Palmures, Palmquist, van der Palm and many more.
Early Notables of the Palmquist family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Palmquist Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Palmquist family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Johannes Palm (1713-1789), (anglicized John Palm), Bavarian doctor and soldier, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1749, founder of Palmyra, Pennsylvania.
Contemporary Notables of the name Palmquist (post 1700) +
- Peter E. Palmquist (1936-2003), American photography historian and writer from Oakland, California
- Zach Palmquist (b. 1990), American professional ice hockey defenseman
- Edwin Lee "Ed" Palmquist (1933-2010), American Major League Baseball relief pitcher who played from 1960 through 1961
- Bengt Valdemar Palmquist (1923-1995), Swedish gold medalist sailor who competed in the Dragon class at the 1956, 1960 and 1968 Olympics
- Hans Palmquist (b. 1967), retired Swedish football defender
Historic Events for the Palmquist family +
- Mr. Oskar Leander Johansson Palmquist, aged 26, Swedish Third Class passenger from Kvarnaryd, Småland who sailed aboard the RMS Titanic and survived in the sinking in life boat 15 
Related Stories +