Padilla History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. The original bearer of the name Padilla, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Padilla family originally lived in one of the various places named Padilla in Spain. There is also a city named Padilla in Castrogeriz, in the Burgos region of northern Spain. This place-name was originally derived from the Spanish word "padilla," which means "frying pan" or "bread pan," which is itself derived from the Latin word "patella," which means "shallow dish."
Early Origins of the Padilla family
The surname Padilla was first found in Castile, the medieval Christian kingdom of northern Spain that led the Reconquest of the Iberian peninsula from the Muslims.
Early History of the Padilla family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Padilla research. Another 130 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1159, 1274, 1540, and 1586 are included under the topic Early Padilla History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Padilla Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Padilla, Padella, Padiella and others.
Early Notables of the Padilla family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Padilla were Juan de Padilla, prior of the Dominican convent of Toledo in 1274; fourteenth century noblewoman María de Padilla, consort of King Peter I; Juan de Padilla, Bishop of Zamora in 1540; sixteenth century poets Juan de Padilla and Pedro de Padilla...
Another 49 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Padilla Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Padilla is the 427th most popular surname with an estimated 64,662 people with that name.  However, in France, the name Padilla is ranked the 4,847th most popular surname with an estimated 1,500 - 2,000 people with that name. 
| Padilla migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Padilla Settlers in United States in the 16th Century
- Gregorio Padilla Villalobos sailed to America in 1512
- Hernando de Padilla, who sailed to America in 1517
- Rodrigo Padilla, who sailed to Cartagena in 1535
- Luis de Padilla, who sailed to Peru in 1579
- Diego de Padilla, who sailed to Peru in 1592 with his wife Isabel de Moscoso
Padilla Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hernando De Padilla, who arrived in America in 1817 
- Isabel De Padilla, who landed in America in 1817 
- Rodrigo Padilla, who landed in Cartagena in 1835 
- Maria Estefania Padilla, who arrived in Texas in 1835 
- Augustin Padilla, who landed in Texas in 1835 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Padilla (post 1700) ||+|
- Stephen C. Padilla (b. 1967), American Democratic Party politician; Mayor of Chula Vista, California, 2002-06
- Nancy Padilla, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from New York, 1984, 1988
- Juan Antonio Padilla, American politician, Delegate to Texas Consultation of 1835 from District of Victoria, 1835
- Kathy Padilla, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Pennsylvania, 2004
- J. Leonard Padilla, American politician, Candidate for Mayor of Sacramento, California, 2004
- Ignacio Padilla, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate in primary for Texas State House of Representatives 76th District, 1996
- H. Tom Padilla, American Democratic Party politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives 61st District, 1978
- Felix Padilla, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from New York County 17th District, 1935; Candidate for New York State Senate 19th District, 1936
- Fabian Padilla, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 2004
- Demesia Padilla, American Republican politician, Member of New Mexico Republican State Executive Committee, 2002; Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Mexico, 2008
- ... (Another 19 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Historic Events for the Padilla family ||+|
- Mr. Frederico G. Padilla, Mexican 1st Class Passenger residing in Liverpool, England, who sailed aboard the RMS Lusitania (1915) and died in the sinking and was recovered 
- "What are the 5,000 Most Common Last Names in the U.S.?". NameCensus.com, https://namecensus.com/last-names/
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- Lusitania Passenger List - The Lusitania Resource. (Retrieved 2014, March 6) . Retrieved from http://www.rmslusitania.info/lusitania-passenger-list/