100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Padilla family come from? What is the Spanish Padilla family crest and coat of arms? When did the Padilla family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Padilla family history?In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. The original bearer of the name Padilla, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Padilla family originally lived in one of the various places named Padilla in Spain. There is also a city named Padilla in Castrogeriz, in the Burgos region of northern Spain. This place-name was originally derived from the Spanish word "padilla," which means "frying pan" or "bread pan," which is itself derived from the Latin word "patella," which means "shallow dish."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Padilla, Padella, Padiella and others.
First found in Castile, the medieval Christian kingdom of northern Spain that led the Reconquest of the Iberian peninsula from the Muslims.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Padilla research. Another 409 words(29 lines of text) covering the years 1159, 1274, 1540, and 1586 are included under the topic Early Padilla History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 97 words(7 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Padilla Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Gregorio Padilla Villalobos sailed to America in 1512
- Hernando de Padilla sailed to America in 1517
- Rodrigo Padilla sailed to Cartagena in 1535
- Luis de Padilla sailed to Peru in 1579
- Diego de Padilla, who sailed to Peru in 1592 with his wife Isabel de Moscoso
Padilla Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Hernando De Padilla, who arrived in America in 1817
- Isabel De Padilla, who landed in America in 1817
- Augustin Padilla, who landed in Texas in 1835
- Maria Estefania Padilla, who arrived in Texas in 1835
- Rodrigo Padilla, who landed in Cartagena in 1835
- Paul Padilla, American historian
- Sally G Padilla, American government official
- Wanda Marie Padilla, American publisher
- Amando Manuel Padilla, American educator
- Ernesto Padilla (b. 1972), Cuban-American artist, graphic designer, and cigar maker
- José Padilla, Spanish composer
- José Padilla, Argentine politician
- Robinhood Ferdinand Carino Padilla (b. 1969), better known by his stage name Robin Padilla, a Filipino film director, screenwriter, producer, martial artist and actor
- Jesus Padilla (b. 1987), Mexican footballer
- Jose Padilla Jr. (1911-1978), Philippine actor
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
The Padilla Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Padilla Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 June 2015 at 09:45.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!