Ottman History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German state of Prussia, which reached the zenith of its power in the late 19th century, is the glorious birthplace of the distinguished surname Ottman. In the medieval era, after the fall of the Roman Empire, the German lands were inhabited by a variety of Barbarian tribes. The borders of the Barbarian kingdoms changed frequently, but the region that became known in Prussia was roughly divided between the areas of Brandenburg-Prussia, West Prussia, and East Prussia. The colorful history of Brandenburg-Prussia, provides a glimpse at the oldest origins of the Ottman family.
Early Origins of the Ottman family
The surname Ottman was first found in Prussia, where the name Otto was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power.
Early History of the Ottman family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ottman research. Another 86 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1806, 1083, 1076, 1550, 1618, 1586, 1603 and 1656 are included under the topic Early Ottman History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ottman Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Otto, Ottos, Ottoe, Oto, Otoe, Autto, Auto, Auttoe and many more.
Early Notables of the Ottman family (pre 1700)
Notable figures of the period with the name Ottman were Otto of Nordheim (d. 1083), the Duke of Bavaria, who led the Saxon forces against king Henry IV following the excommunication of the German monarch (1076); Georg Otto (1550-1618), a German composer of sacred works, was Hofkapellmeister to...
Another 48 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ottman Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ottman migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ottman Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Ottman, who arrived in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania in 1743 
- Regina Ottman, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1765 
Ottman Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Peter Ottman, who arrived in Indiana in 1852 
- Jacob Ottman, who landed in New York, NY in 1857 
- F. C. Ottman, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States, in 1892
- Louise Ottman, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1893
- Frieda Ottman, aged 14, who settled in America, in 1893
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Ottman Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Crisch Ottman, aged 18, who immigrated to America from Liverpool, in 1905
- Harry M. Ottman, aged 25, who landed in America, in 1910
- Erzsebet Ottman, aged 18, who landed in America from Bodrogszentes, Hungary, in 1913
- Antoinette Ottman, aged 27, who landed in America from Florence, Italy, in 1914
- Jean L. Ottman, aged 29, who immigrated to the United States, in 1922
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)