Otterbach History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Otterbach has several possible origins, but they can all be traced back to the kingdom of Bavaria, located in the southern part of Germany. The name may be derived from a place name, such as "Usterbach," a town near the Bavarian city of Augsburg, or "Otterbach," the name of several German towns, and would in this case refer to someone who came from one of these places. Alternatively, the name may be derived from the German words "uter," meaning "coming from," and "Bach," meaning "stream." In this case, the name would have been originally borne by someone living close to a stream. Finally, the name may be derived from the personal name "Utters;" in this instance, the name would mean "son of Utters."
Early Origins of the Otterbach family
The surname Otterbach was first found in the town of Armorbach, where Erkinbertus dictus de Ottirbach, the first recorded bearer of the name, was living in 1298. Another early instance of the name dates back to 1323, when a butcher named Usterpach was residing in Augsburg.
Early History of the Otterbach family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Otterbach research. Another 133 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1298, 1323, and 1357 are included under the topic Early Otterbach History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Otterbach Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Utterback, Utterbach, Ottirbach, Usterpach, Otter, Otterbeeck, Otterbach and many more.
Early Notables of the Otterbach family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Otterbach Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Otterbach migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Otterbach Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Henrich Otterbach, aged 30, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1734 
- Wilhelm Otterbach, who landed in America in 1785 
- Wilhelm Otterbach, who settled in New York in 1785
Otterbach Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Margaretha Otterbach, who arrived in Ohio in 1853
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)