Otte History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Otte family name first began to be used in the German state of Bavaria. After the 12th century, as hereditary surnames began to be adopted, names that were derived from locations became particularly common. The family name Otte is a local surname. Originally denoting the proprietorship of an estate or influence within a village, the German preposition von, which means from or of, used with local names, was taken as a mark of aristocracy. The surname Otte was given to someone who lived in Bavaria, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging medieval society. The name Otte evolved from the Old German personal name Ott, a name of Emperors, made famous by Otto the Great (912-973), Holy Roman emperor.
Early Origins of the Otte family
The surname Otte was first found in Bavaria, where the name came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society.
Early History of the Otte family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Otte research. Another 168 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1563, 1743, 1755, 1788, 1792, and 1840 are included under the topic Early Otte History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Otte Spelling Variations
Many cultural groups lived in the German states in medieval times. Each had its own dialect and traditions, and unique variations of popular names. Low German, which is similar to contemporary Dutch, was spoken in Westphalia. German names are characterized by additions such as regional suffixes and phrases that tell something about the origin or background of its original bearer. Further contributing to the variation in German names was the fact that there were no spelling rules in medieval times: scribes recorded names according to their sound. The recorded spelling variations of Otte include Ott, Otte, Ottel, Oettel, Oettle, Oettli, Otts, Ot and many more.
Early Notables of the Otte family (pre 1700)
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Otte Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Otte is the 7,947th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Otte migration to the United States +
The great European flow of migration to North America, which began in the middle of the 17th century and continued into the 20th century, was particularly attractive to those from Bavaria who wished to escape either poverty or religious persecution. For many Bavarian tenant farmers, the chance to own their own land was a major incentive. So the widespread colonization of the United States began in 1650, when many immigrants from Germany settled in pockets in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. In Canada, German settlement centered in Ontario and the prairie provinces. Among those of this surname listed in various historical records were:
Otte Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Hermann Otte, who settled in New Netherlands (now New York) in 1661
Otte Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hendrich Otte, aged 21, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1739 
- Carl Otte, who arrived in Long Island in 1780 
Otte Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ludoff Otte, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- Elis Otte, who arrived in America in 1833 
- Ernst W Otte, who landed in America in 1834 
- Heinrich Friedrich Otte, who settled in Texas in 1845 with his wife Dorothea Walken and their six children
- W Jacob Otte, who landed in America in 1845 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Otte Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Henry Otte, who landed in Arkansas in 1906 
Contemporary Notables of the name Otte (post 1700) +
- Eileen Otte (b. 1922), American model agency executive, co-founder with her husband of Ford Models in 1946
- Dan Otte (b. 1939), American behavior ecologist, a world expert on crickets and grasshoppers
- Carl Otte (1924-2011), American politician who served in the Wisconsin State Assembly 1967-1983 and then the Wisconsin State Senate 1983-1987
- Henning Otte (b. 1968), German politician, member of the Christian Democratic Union of Germany (CDU)
- Hans Günther Franz Otte (1926-2007), German composer, pianist, and poet
- Marcel Otte (b. 1948), Belgian archaeologist, Professor of Prehistory at the Université de Liège, Belgium
- Marc Otte (b. 1947), Belgian diplomat and politician
- Otte A Rosenkrantz (b. 1952), Canadian author, journalist, professor of communication at Fanshawe College
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)