The mountainous borders of Spain
contain the origins of the prestigious surname Ortego. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
were the patronymic
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins.
Early Origins of the Ortego family
The surname Ortego was first found in Castile
, in north central Spain.
Early History of the Ortego family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ortego research.Another 339 words (24 lines of text) covering the years 1095, 1492, 1492, 1701, 1702 and 1873 are included under the topic Early Ortego History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Ortego Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Ortega, Ortego, de Ortega, Hortega, de Hortega, Ortiga, Ortegal, Ortigal, Ortiguera, Ortigosa and many more.
Early Notables of the Ortego family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family were Juan de Ortega, first Bishop of Almeria (after 1492); eighteenth century Spanish painter Francisco Ortega; nineteenth century Mexican poet and politician Francisco Ortega; eighteenth century Archbishop of Mexico Juan Ortega Montáñez, who was named Viceroy and governed New Spain... Another 45 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ortego Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Ortego family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ortego Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Arturo Ortego, aged 26, who emigrated to America, in 1894
Ortego Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Domingo Ortego, aged 35, who landed in America from Almeria, Spain, in 1907
- R. Ortego, aged 31, who settled in America, in 1919
- Rafael Ortego, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1919
- Felix Ortego, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States, in 1920
- Jose Ortego, aged 32, who landed in America, in 1923
Contemporary Notables of the name Ortego (post 1700)
- Stephen Juan Ortego (b. 1984), American politician, Louisiana State Representative (2012-)
- Manuel Ortego (b. 1952), American professional baseball player
- Bryant Keith Ortego (b. 1963), American NFL football wide receiver for the Chicago Bears (1985-1987)
- Artie Ortego (1890-1960), American actor who appeared in more than 245 films between 1912 and 1955, in most cases either as a cowboy, American Indian or henchman
- Miguel Ortego (b. 1964), Spanish former field hockey player who competed in the 1988 and 1992 Summer Olympics