Early Origins of the Orsino family
The surname Orsino was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy where as early as 752, an Orsini was elected Pope, with the name Stefano III.
Early History of the Orsino family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Orsino research. More information is included under the topic Early Orsino History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Orsino Spelling Variations
Surnames that originated in Italy are characterized by an enormous number of spelling variations
. Some of these are derived from regional traditions and dialects. Northern names, for instance, often end in "o", while southern names tend to end in "i". Other variations come from the fact the medieval scribes tended to spell according to the sound of words, rather than any particular set of rules. The recorded variations of Orsino include Orsi, Ursi, Orso, Urso, D'Orsi, Dorsi, D'Orso, Dorso, D'Urso, Ursich, Ursic, Orselli, Orsello, Orsetti, Orsatti, Orsini, Orsolini, Orsolino, Orsoni, Ursillo, Ursini and many more.
Early Notables of the Orsino family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Raimondo Del Balzo Orsini (1361-1406), (Raimondello), nobleman from the Kingdom of Naples, Count of Soleto (1382), Duke of Benevento (1385-1401), Prince of Taranto (1393-1406), Count of Lecce (1401-06), Duke of Bari, Grand Constable of the Kingdom of Naples, Gonfalonier of the Holy Roman Church... Another 200 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Orsino Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Orsino family to the New World and Oceana
Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Orsino or a variant listed above:
Orsino Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cesidio Orsino, aged 29, who emigrated to the United States, in 1896
Orsino Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Brigida Orsino, aged 11, who landed in America from Pontelandolfo, in 1903
- Anastasio Orsino, aged 19, who landed in America from Italy, in 1904
- Andrea Orsino, aged 17, who emigrated to America from Naples, Italy, in 1907
- Domenico Orsino, aged 40, who settled in America from Cusano Mutri, in 1907
- Domenico Orsino, aged 34, who emigrated to the United States from Portigliola, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Orsino (post 1700)
- John Joseph Orsino (1938-2016), American Major League Baseball catcher who played from 1961 to 1967
- Philip S. Orsino OC (b. 1954), Canadian former President and Chief Executive Officer of Masonite International Corporation