Orsini History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Orsini family
The surname Orsini was first found in Rome (Italian: Roma), the capital of the Kingdom of Italy where as early as 752, an Orsini was elected Pope, with the name Stefano III.
Early History of the Orsini family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Orsini research. More information is included under the topic Early Orsini History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Orsini Spelling Variations
Surnames that originated in Italy are characterized by an enormous number of spelling variations. Some of these are derived from regional traditions and dialects. Northern names, for instance, often end in "o", while southern names tend to end in "i". Other variations come from the fact the medieval scribes tended to spell according to the sound of words, rather than any particular set of rules. The recorded variations of Orsini include Orsi, Ursi, Orso, Urso, D'Orsi, Dorsi, D'Orso, Dorso, D'Urso, Ursich, Ursic, Orselli, Orsello, Orsetti, Orsatti, Orsini, Orsolini, Orsolino, Orsoni, Ursillo, Ursini and many more.
Early Notables of the Orsini family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Raimondo Del Balzo Orsini (1361-1406), (Raimondello), nobleman from the Kingdom of Naples, Count of Soleto (1382), Duke of Benevento (1385-1401), Prince of Taranto (1393-1406), Count of Lecce (1401-06), Duke of Bari, Grand Constable of the Kingdom of Naples, Gonfalonier of the Holy Roman Church (1385), member of the influential Orsini family of Rome; the Orsini family, nobility known for their power and wealth from the 12th to the 16th centuries; From this family emerged many Popes, Counts, and Cardinals, such as Pope Paolo I in 757; Giacinto Orsini, Pope from 1191 to 1198 with...
Another 150 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Orsini Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Orsini migration to the United States +
Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Orsini or a variant listed above:
Orsini Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adolfo Orsini, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Naples, in 1907
- Alessandro Orsini, aged 47, who landed in America from Isola G. Sasso, Italy, in 1907
- Andrea Orsini, aged 38, who immigrated to the United States from Cusano Mutri, in 1907
- Alejandro Orsini, aged 48, who settled in America from Guiliano, Roma, in 1909
- Andrea Orsini, aged 28, who landed in America from Carano Sabino, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Orsini (post 1700) +
- Angel Orsini, American professional wrestler, bodybuilder and former mixed martial arts fighter
- Raymond Orsini, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly from New York County 4th District, 1944 
- Mark A. Orsini, American politician, Independent Candidate for Connecticut State Senate 16th District, 2008 
- Juan A. Orsini, American politician, U.S. Consular Agent in Carúpano, 1898 
- Joseph L. Orsini, American Republican politician, Member of Alaska State House of Representatives 9th District, 1973-74 
- Matteo Rosso Orsini (1178-1246), called the Great, was Roman politician and father of Pope Nicholas III
- Flavio Orsini (1532-1581), cardinal of the Catholic Church
- Valentino Orsini (1927-2001), Italian film director
- Matteo Orsini (d. 1340), Italian Dominican and Cardinal
- Alessandro Orsini (1592-1626), Italian cardinal
- ... (Another 9 notables are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +