The distinguished surname Orsi originated in an area of Italy, known as the Papal States. Although people were originally known only by a single name, it became necessary for people to adapt a second name to identify themselves as populations grew and travel became more frequent. The process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames
was not complete until the modern era, but the use of hereditary family names in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries. Italian hereditary surnames were developed according to fairly general principles and they are characterized by a profusion of derivatives coined from given names. The most traditional type of family name found in the region of the Papal States is the patronymic
surname, which is derived from the father's given name. During the Middle Ages, Italians adopted the patronymic system of name-making because it perfectly complemented the prevailing Feudal
System. In Italy the popularity of patronymic type of surname is also due to the fact that during the Christian era, people often named their children after saints and biblical figures. The surname Orsi came from the name Orso, which is derived from the Latin name Ursus, meaning bear.
Early Origins of the Orsi family
The surname Orsi was first found in Forli (Latin: Forum Livii), a comune and city in Emilia-Romagna
, capital of the province of Forli-Cesena. The Church of S. Mercuriale is notable.
Castello Ursino (Bear Castle), also known as Castello Svevo di Catania, is a castle in Catania, Sicily, southern Italy that was built in the 13th century. Built between 1239 and 1250, it was one of the royal castles of Emperor Frederick II, King of Sicily. Over the years it had fallen into ruin but in 1932, the castle was acquired by the city of Catania and restored to its original grandeur.
Early History of the Orsi family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Orsi research.Another 93 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1520, 1725, 1328, 1598, 1650 and 1715 are included under the topic Early Orsi History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Orsi Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Orsi, Orso, Ursi, Urso, Dorso, Ursich, Ursic, Orselli, Orsetti, Orsatti, Ursini, Ursino, Orsoni and many more.
Early Notables of the Orsi family (pre 1700)
Another 40 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Orsi Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Orsi family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Orsi Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Juanni Francesco Orsi, who was naturalized in Mississippi in 1891
- Juanni Francesco Orsi, who landed in Mississippi in 1891 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- A. Orsi, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Italy, in 1892
Orsi Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Adolfo Orsi, aged 22, who immigrated to America from Lucca, Italy, in 1907
- Agostino Orsi, aged 25, who landed in America from Uzzaero, Italy, in 1907
- Aldo Orsi, aged 4, who landed in America from Torino, Italy, in 1908
- Adolfo Orsi, aged 21, who landed in America from Campito, Italy, in 1909
- Alvero Orsi, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States from Ferrentillo, Italy, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Orsi (post 1700)
- Leigh Ann Orsi (b. 1981), American actress
- Adolfo Orsi (1888-1972), Italian industrialist, known for owning the Maserati automobile maker
- Raimundo Bibian "Mumo" Orsi (1901-1986), Argentine footballer
- Hoover Orsi (b. 1978), Brazilian race car driver, South American Formula 3 champion in 1999
Orsi Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)