on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Ord family come from? What is the English Ord family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ord family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ord family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Orde, Ord and others.
First found in Ord, a village about 2 miles (3 km) south west of Berwick Upon Tweed in Northumberland that dates back to 1196 where it was first listed as Horde.  East Ord, Middle Ord and West Ord were all hamlets at one time and all owned by the Ord family until the early fifteenth century. The villages are essentially on the Scottish-English border of today so the family's movement through the ages on both sides is to be expected.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ord research. Another 275 words(20 lines of text) covering the years 1086, 1180, 1296, 1781, 1855, 1802, 1832, 1835 and 1852 are included under the topic Early Ord History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 49 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ord Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ord Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Ord settled in Virginia in 1653
- William Ord, who landed in Virginia in 1653
Ord Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Dorothy Ord settled in Potomac Maryland in 1729
- Walter Ord settled in Georgia in 1734
- Johan Heinrich Ord, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754
- Robert Ord settled in Virginia in 1773
- George Ord, who arrived in New York, NY in 1778
Ord Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John George Ord, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1848
Ord Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- William Ord, aged 18, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Bombay" in 1865
- Elizabeth Ord, aged 36, a housekeeper, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rakaia" in 1879
- George Ord (1781-1866), American ornithologist
- Major-General James Garesch Ord (1886-1960), American Chief of the Joint Brazil-US Defense Commission (1943-1945)
- Major-General Sir Harry St George Ord (b. 1819), Australian politician, Governor of Western Australia from 1877 to 1880
- Boris Ord, British organist and choirmaster of King's College
- Edward Otho Cresap Ord (1818-1883), designer of Fort Sam Houston
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
The Ord Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ord Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 26 March 2014 at 10:20.
on orders of $85 or more