Oquendo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The noble Spanish surname Oquendo is of topographic origin, as it is derived from a natural or man-made feature. In this instance, Oquendo derives from a Basque term which means "empty (barren) place," "without oats," "brambles" or "pasture land." Therefore, the initial bearer of the surname Oquendo was one who was located in a barren area or was close to a place which was abundant in pasture land.
Early Origins of the Oquendo family
The surname Oquendo was first found in the district of San Sebastián, at the foot of Ulia mountain. Members of this family were one of the first inhabitants of the city, where they had many estates.
Early History of the Oquendo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Oquendo research. Another 93 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1619, 1588, 1577, 1640 and 1821 are included under the topic Early Oquendo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oquendo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ocando, Oquendo, Okendo and others.
Early Notables of the Oquendo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among bearers of the family name at this time was the Spanish Franciscan Bishop, Sebastian de Ocando, recorded in 1619; Miguel de Oquendo y Segura (d. 1588), Spanish Admiral, born...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Oquendo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oquendo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Oquendo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Julio Oquendo, aged 15, who landed in America from Barcelona, Spain, in 1911
- Wenceslao Oquendo, aged 26, who immigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Genaro Oquendo, aged 17, who immigrated to the United States, in 1918
- Adolfo Oquendo, aged 20, who settled in America, in 1920
- Manuel Oquendo, aged 27, who immigrated to America, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Oquendo (post 1700) +
- Angel Oquendo, contemporary American stage, television, and film actor
- Daniel "Danny" Oquendo Jr. (b. 1987), American football wide receiver
- Manny Oquendo (1931-2009), American percussionist
- Luis Oquendo (1925-1992), Cuban actor from Havana
- Fres Oquendo (b. 1973), Puerto Rican professional heavyweight boxer
- José Manuel Roberto Guillermo Oquendo Contreras (b. 1963), Puerto Rican former Major League Baseball infielder
- Carlos Oquendo Cepeda (b. 1952), university professor and engineer from Ecuador
- Carlos Oquendo Arrazola (b. 1916), Colombian engineer
Related Stories +