Opweart History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Opweart family
The surname Opweart was first found in Huntingdonshire at Upwood, a parish, in the hundred of Hurstingstone. 
The place name dates back to Saxon times when it was first recorded as Upwude in 974.  By the time of the Domesday Book in 1086, the parish was known as Upehude  and literally meant "higher wood" or "the upper ward, or district" having been derived from the Old English "upp" + "wudu."  
One of the first records of the family was Walter de Upwod who was listed there in 1258. 
The Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 had two listings for the family both in Huntingdonshire: Thomas de Upwode; and Alice de Upwode. 
Early History of the Opweart family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Opweart research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1697, 1776, 1789 and 1327 are included under the topic Early Opweart History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Opweart Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Upward, Upwood, Upwards and others.
Early Notables of the Opweart family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Opweart Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Opweart family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Jeremiah Upward settled at Harry's Harbour, Newfoundland, in 1820; Edward Upward settled at New Harbour, Newfoundland, in 1835; Nehemiah Upward settled in Exploits district of Newfoundland in 1874.
Related Stories +
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)