Olmedo History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The noble Spanish surname Olmedo is of locative origin, being derived from the topographic or man made feature where the initial bearer resided. In this case, Olmedo derives from the Castilian element "olmeda," in turn derived from a contraction of "olmo" meaning "elm tree," plus the suffix "eda," meaning "abundance." Thus, the surname Olmedo was used to identify a person who lived in a place where many elm trees grew.
Early Origins of the Olmedo family
The surname Olmedo was first found in the Spanish province of Valladolid, in the Castilla la Vieja.
Early History of the Olmedo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Olmedo research. Another 84 words (6 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Olmedo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Olmedo Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Olmeda, Olmedo, Olmera, Olmo and others.
Early Notables of the Olmedo family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Olmedo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Olmedo migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Olmedo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bartolome De Olmedo, who landed in America in 1816 
- Andres De Olmedo, who landed in America in 1827 
- Antonio De Olmedo, who arrived in Cartagena in 1834 
- Jose Olmedo, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1839 
- Gaspar De Olmedo, who arrived in Peru in 1892 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Olmedo (post 1700) +
- Lucas Olmedo, American politician, Candidate for New York State Assembly 35th District, 1966 
- Alejandro Olmedo (b. 1959), Peruvian tennis player
- Luis Velozeo Olmedo (b. 1937), painter in the Philippines
- Onib Olmedo (1937-1996), award-winning expressionist Filipino painter
- Alberto Olmedo (1933-1988), Argentine comedian and actor
- Adolfo Olmedo (1865-1922), Mexican born doctor
- Roberto Olmedo Bascuñán (b. 1899), poet and university professor in Chile
- José Olmedo Vinajeras (b. 1910), Spanish musical composer
- Olmedo Sáenz (b. 1970), former Major League Baseball player from Panama
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, October 7) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html