The distinguished surname Olivas, like many Spanish family names, is a proud sign of a rich and ancient ancestry. The earliest forms of hereditary surnames
were the patronymic
surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. Spanish patronymic names emerged as early as the mid-9th century and were derived from a variety of given names that were of many different origins.
Early Origins of the Olivas family
The surname Olivas was first found in Aragon
, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain
. Today, Olivares is a city in the province of Seville having a population of 8,729 inhabitants as of 2005.
Early History of the Olivas family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Olivas research.Another 397 words (28 lines of text) covering the years 1137, 1148, 1170, 1238, 1229, 1282, 1469 and 1235 are included under the topic Early Olivas History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Olivas Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Oliva, de Oliva, Olivas, Olivo, Olivos, Oliver, de Oliver, Olivé, Olive, Olivera, Oliveras, Olivero, Oliveros, de Oliveros, Olivérez, Oliverez, Olives, Olivar, Olivares and many more.
Early Notables of the Olivas family (pre 1700)
Another 32 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Olivas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Olivas family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Olivas Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Magdalena Olivas, aged 40, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1850 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Olivas (post 1700)
- Daniel Olivas (b. 1959), United States author and attorney
- John Daniel "Danny" Olivas (b. 1965), American engineer and NASA astronaut with over 668 hours in space CITATION[CLOSE]
NASA Astronauts Homepage. (Retrieved 2010, September 27) John Olivas. Retrieved from http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/olivas.html
- Francisco José Olivas (b. 1988), Spanish footballer
- Viktor Olivas (1861-1928), Czech painter and illustrator
- Ramón Otoniel Olivas, Retired Nicaraguan footballer
- Fernando Nicolas Olivas (b. 1971), former Argentine football player
- Darwin Eusebio Olivas (b. 1989), Honduran-Guatemalan footballer
- Carlos Olivas, Honduran football player that currently plays for Marathon