Oesterreicher History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The ancient and distinguished surname Oesterreicher is derived from the Old High German words "ostar," meaning "eastern," and "rihhi," meaning "kingdom." Thus, the name is used to denote someone who came from an eastern region. Oesterreicher is also the German name for the Republic of Austria, and is therefore a common surname for Germans of Austrian ancestry.
Early Origins of the Oesterreicher family
The surname Oesterreicher was first found in the eastern regions of Germany, where it is thought to have emerged. Due to the origins of the name, it is likely that several branches of the Oesterreicher family emerged in various parts of Germany. The earliest recorded bearer of the name was Arnold de Oesterich, who was a town councillor and resident of the city of Stettin in the year 1136. The branches of the young Oesterreicher family were instrumental during this formative period, figuring prominently in Germany's early history and contributing greatly to the development of the medieval societies of their respective regions.
Important Dates for the Oesterreicher family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Oesterreicher research. Another 162 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1136, 1136, 1302, 1338, 1350, 1692, 1745, 1664, 1735, 1750, 1809, 1830 and 1898 are included under the topic Early Oesterreicher History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oesterreicher Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Oesterreich, Österreich, Oesterich, Österich, Oestreich, Oesterreicher, Osterich, Osterreich, Ostrich, Östreich and many more.
Early Notables of the Oesterreicher family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the name Oesterreicher at this time were Anton August Oesterreich (1692-1745), a well-known German pastor; Georg Österreich (baptized on 17 March 1664 –...
Another 26 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Oesterreicher Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oesterreicher migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Oesterreicher Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Geza Oesterreicher, aged 17, who settled in America, in 1893
- A. Oesterreicher, aged 39, who landed in America, in 1894
- Marie Oesterreicher, aged 26, who landed in America, in 1894
- Elise Oesterreicher, aged 38, who landed in America, in 1895
Oesterreicher Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Antonie Oesterreicher, aged 25, who immigrated to America from Szatmar, Hungary, in 1908
- Dorothea Oesterreicher, aged 42, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Hugo Oesterreicher, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Berlin, Germany, in 1909
- Johann Oesterreicher, aged 9, who landed in America from Presorfalva, Hungary, in 1909
- Karl Oesterreicher, aged 50, who immigrated to America from Charlottenburg, Germany, in 1912
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Oesterreicher (post 1700)
- Richard Oesterreicher (b. 1932), Austrian musician
- Monsignor John "Johannes" Maria Oesterreicher (1904-1993), Austrian Roman Catholic theologian
- Johann Friedrich Oesterreicher (1771-1835), Bishop of Eichstätt