The Oddo surname was created from the Germanic personal name
Odo, or Otto. Oddi, is patronymic
or plural form of the surname.
Early Origins of the Oddo family
The surname Oddo was first found in Perugia (Latin: Perusia), the capital city of the region of Umbria in central Italy, crossed by the Tiber River, capital of the province of Perugia. Perusia took part in a rebellion in 295 B.C. and was reduced with the exceptions of the temples Vulcan and Juno. In the 9th century A.D the city was a papal territory but remained true to the Guelphs. Records are found in 1280, when Oddo Oddi was mayor of Parma. From this family came two more mayors in Parma: Ungaro in 1291 and Marolo in 1293. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Oddo family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Oddo research.Another 183 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1567, 1818, 1450, 1540, 1526, 1646, 1710, 1667 and 1740 are included under the topic Early Oddo History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Oddo Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Oddi, Oddo, Odda, Odi, Oddone, Oddoni, Odone, Otto, Oddini, Ottoni, Odino, Ottella, Ottobelli, Ottolino and many more.
Early Notables of the Oddo family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Roberto Oderisi, a Neapolitan painter who lived during the 14th century. He worked for King Roberto of Naples and King Charles III, and among surviving works are numerous frescoes in the Church of Santa Maria Incoronata in Naples. Oddo degli Oddi was a physician... Another 130 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Oddo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Oddo family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Oddo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Giacomo Oddo, age 41, who arrived in New York on May 13, 1890
- Angelo Oddo, age 35, who arrived in New York on July 18, 1892, aboard the "Stura"
- Bragugo Oddo, who settled in Louisiana sometime between 1898 and 1910
Oddo Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Doenegora Oddo, who settled in Louisiana sometime between 1891 and 1910
Contemporary Notables of the name Oddo (post 1700)
- James S. Oddo (b. 1966), American politician, 15th Borough President of Staten Island (2014-), Minority Leader of the New York City Council (2002-2013)
- Giuseppe Oddo (1865-1954), Italian chemist who co-developed the Oddo-Harkins rule
- Francesco Oddo (b. 1946), Italian football manager and former player
- Massimo Oddo (b. 1976), Italian World Cup-winning footballer
- Guillermo "Willy" Oddó (1943-1991), Chilean musician and engineer