100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Ocampo family come from? What is the Spanish Ocampo family crest and coat of arms? When did the Ocampo family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Ocampo family history?Noble surnames, such as Ocampo, evoke images of the ancient homeland of the Spanish people. The original bearer of the name Ocampo, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Campos, Campo, de Campos, de Campo, del Campo, Camps, Campillo, del Campillo, Ocampo, de Ocampo, Campa and many more.
First found in Castile, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ocampo research. Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1242, 1508, 1784 and 1789 are included under the topic Early Ocampo History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 267 words (19 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ocampo Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Alonso de Ocampo sailed to America in 1527
- Esteban de Ocampo sailed to Peru in 1534
- Juan de Ocampo sailed to New Granada in 1555
Ocampo Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Juan De Ocampo, who landed in America in 1812
- Alonso De Ocampo, who arrived in America in 1827
- Esteban De Ocampo, who landed in Peru in 1834
- Francisco De Ocampo, who arrived in New Granada in 1855
- Benjamin Ocampo, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1857
- Luis Gabriel Moreno Ocampo (b. 1952), Argentine lawyer and the first Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court
- Mónica Ocampo Medina (b. 1987), Mexican professional footballer
- José Antonio Ocampo Gaviria (b. 1952), Colombian-born, Professor of Professional Practice at the School of International and Public Affairs, Columbia University, former United Nations Undersecretary-General for Economic and Social Affairs (2003-2007)
- Jahir Ocampo Marroquinn, Mexican bronze medalist diver at the 2013 World Aquatics Championships
- David Samanez Ocampo (1866-1947), 74th President of Peru in 1931
- Diether Pascual Ocampo (b. 1976), Filipino actor, singer and model
- Victoria Ocampo (1890-1979), Argentine writer and intellectual
- Silvina Ocampo (1903-1993), Argentine poet and short-fiction writer
- Melchor Ocampo (1814-1861), Mexican lawyer, scientist
- Ramón Darío Ocampo (b. 1986), Argentine football midfielder
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bentley, Elizabeth P. Passenger Arrivals at the Port of New York 1820-1829. Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1999. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
The Ocampo Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ocampo Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 June 2015 at 14:19.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!