Obermeyer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Obermeyer is derived from the German words "ober," meaning "upper," or "above," and the word man.
Early Origins of the Obermeyer family
The surname Obermeyer was first found in East Prussia, where the name Oberer came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status.
Early History of the Obermeyer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Obermeyer research. Another 106 words (8 lines of text) covering the year 1815 is included under the topic Early Obermeyer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Obermeyer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Oberer, Ober, Obermann, Obererman, Obermans, Oberers, Obere, Oberman, Oberman and many more.
Early Notables of the Obermeyer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Obermeyer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Obermeyer migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Obermeyer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Georg Obermeyer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1751 
- Joh Heman Obermeyer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1768 
- Franz Obermeyer, who landed in America in 1778 
Obermeyer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Obermeyer, aged 30, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Wilhelm Obermeyer, aged 27, who arrived in Missouri in 1848 
- Herman Obermeyer, aged 41, who landed in Baltimore, Maryland in 1848 
Contemporary Notables of the name Obermeyer (post 1700) +
- Neal Obermeyer (b. 1978), American editorial cartoonist for the Lincoln Journal-Star, the San Diego Reader, and the Omaha Reader
- Ryan Obermeyer (b. 1981), American artist
- Klaus F. Obermeyer (b. 1919), German-born, American founder of Sport Obermeyer, Ltd
- Carla Makhlouf Obermeyer, American medical anthropologist and epidemiologist
- Theresa Nangle Obermeyer (b. 1945), American Alaska school board member (1990-1994)
- Anna Amelia Obermeyer (1907-2001), South African botanist
- Jacob Obermeyer (1845-1938), Bavarian Jewish oriental researcher, scholar and a traveler
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)