Obermayer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German surname Obermayer is derived from the German words "ober," meaning "upper," or "above," and the word man.
Early Origins of the Obermayer family
The surname Obermayer was first found in East Prussia, where the name Oberer came from humble beginnings but gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as numerous branches of the same house acquired distant estates, some of which were located in other countries. Through the acquisition of these estates as well as their important contributions to society, the family successfully elevated their social status.
Important Dates for the Obermayer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Obermayer research. Another 106 words (8 lines of text) covering the year 1815 is included under the topic Early Obermayer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Obermayer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Oberer, Ober, Obermann, Obererman, Obermans, Oberers, Obere, Oberman, Oberman and many more.
Early Notables of the Obermayer family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Obermayer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Obermayer migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Obermayer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Kaspar Obermayer, who landed in Illinois in 1846 
- Theresia Obermayer, who settled in America, in 1892
Obermayer Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ernest Obermayer, aged 18, who landed in America from Germany, in 1904
- Maria Obermayer, aged 14, who landed in America from Bakonjbel, Hungary, in 1906
- Halburga Obermayer, aged 20, who immigrated to the United States from Schwaben, Germany, in 1907
- Agnes Obermayer, aged 31, who immigrated to America from Terchsoldsdorf, Austria, in 1908
- Charles J. Obermayer, aged 42, who immigrated to the United States, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Obermayer (post 1700)
- Herman J. Obermayer (1924-2016), American journalist, publisher and politician
- Arthur S. Obermayer (1931-2016), American entrepreneur and philanthropist, co-founder of Partners for Progressive Israel and the Obermayer German Jewish History Awards
- Erich Obermayer (b. 1953), former Austrian football player
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)