Noto History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Noto surname is a habitational name, taken on from the place name Noto in Siracusa province, Sicily.
Early Origins of the Noto family
The surname Noto was first found in Palermo (Sicilian: Palermu, Latin: Panormus), a city in Insular Italy, the capital of both the region of Sicily and the Province of Palermo at the foot of Mount Pellegrino, originally a Phoenician colony in the 3rd century B.C. Carthage and then the Saracens in 835 each occupied the city. The Norman period from 1050 was the most important and many ancient ruins exist from that time period. Two city gates still remain. The museum is notable and has many priceless relics. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Noto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Noto research. Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1706, 1773, 1774 and 1774 are included under the topic Early Noto History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Noto Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Noto, Notto, Notoo, Notow, Notoe and others.
Early Notables of the Noto family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Noto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Noto migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Noto Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Angeline Noto, who settled in Pennsylvania sometime between 1899 and 1924
Noto Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Nick Noto, who settled in Louisiana in 1910
- Onofrio Noto, who settled in Boston sometime between 1913 and 1914
- John Noto, who settled in Illinois in 1914
- Luizi Noto, who settled in Arkansas in 1918
Contemporary Notables of the name Noto (post 1700) +
- Sam Noto (b. 1930), American jazz trumpeter, best known for his work with Stan Kenton during the 1950s
- Lore Noto (1923-2002), American Obie Award and Tony Award winning producer, best known for his off-Broadway musical, The Fantasticks
- Phil Noto, American comic book artist, known for his work with DC Comics
- Alva Noto (b. 1965), stage name of Carsten Nicolai, German sound artist
Related Stories +