Norelius History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Norelius family
The surname Norelius was first found in various places throughout Sweden as the name is derived from the Old Norse word for north. The name was originally a topographic name adopted by someone who lived to the north of a main settlement. When surnames finally became mandatory in Sweden in the 19th century, Norelius, or one of the many compound names created from it were often adopted ornamentally, that is, the bearers did not necessarily have any association with the meaning of the name. These compound names used such suffixes as "dahl" (valley), "stedt" (homestead), "ström" (river), and others.
Early History of the Norelius family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Norelius research. More information is included under the topic Early Norelius History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Norelius Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nord, Nordh, Noren, Norden, Norin, Nordin, Norell, Nordell, Norlin, Nordling, Norelius, Norberg, Nordberg, Norrby, Nordahl, Norqvist, Nordström and many more.
Early Notables of the Norelius family (pre 1700)
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Norelius Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Norelius migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Norelius Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Erik Norelius, who arrived in New York in 1850 
- Jonas Andersson Norelius, who landed in America in 1853 
- Pehr Andersson Norelius, aged 29, who arrived in America in 1853 
- Anders Persson Norelius, aged 51, who landed in America in 1853 
- Peter Norelius, who landed in Minnesota in 1854 
Contemporary Notables of the name Norelius (post 1700) +
- Kristine Lee Norelius (b. 1956), American Olympic gold medalist rower at the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Eric Norelius (1833-1916), Swedish-born, American Lutheran minister, church leader and author
- Martha Norelius (1908-1955), Swedish-born, American three-time Olympic gold medalist swimmer
- M. S. Norelius, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Minnesota, 1912 
- Benkt Rudolf Norelius (1886-1974), Swedish gold medalist gymnast at the 1912 Summer Olympics
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, November 11) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html