Early Origins of the Nordahl family
The surname Nordahl was first found in various places throughout Sweden as the name is derived from the Old Norse word for north. The name was originally a topographic name adopted by someone who lived to the north of a main settlement. When surnames finally became mandatory in Sweden in the 19th century, Nordahl, or one of the many compound names created from it were often adopted ornamentally, that is, the bearers did not necessarily have any association with the meaning of the name. These compound names used such suffixes as "dahl" (valley), "stedt" (homestead), "ström" (river), and others.
Early History of the Nordahl family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nordahl research. More information is included under the topic Early Nordahl History in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Nordahl Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Nord, Nordh, Noren, Norden, Norin, Nordin, Norell, Nordell, Norlin, Nordling, Norelius, Norberg, Nordberg, Norrby, Nordahl, Norqvist, Nordström and many more.
Early Notables of the Nordahl family (pre 1700)
Another 27 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nordahl Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Nordahl family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nordahl Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Arnold Nordahl, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1897
Nordahl Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Anna Nordahl, aged 17, who emigrated to America from Bergen, Norway, in 1902
- Bella Nordahl, aged 17, who settled in America from Aaleslund, Norway, in 1910
- Gustav Jull Nilsen Nordahl, aged 29, who landed in America from Kragero, Norway, in 1911
- Akette Nordahl, aged 25, who landed in America from Bergen, Norway, in 1914
- Einar Nordahl, aged 17, who emigrated to the United States from Bergen, Norway, in 1916
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Nordahl (post 1700)
- Bertil Nordahl (1917-1998), Swedish footballer and football manager
- Knut Erik Alexander Nordahl (1920-1984), Swedish footballer
- Thomas Nordahl (b. 1946), Swedish footballer and sportscaster
- Gunnar Nordahl (1921-1995), Swedish football player
- Konrad Mathias Nordahl (1897-1975), Norwegian trade unionist and politician for the Labour Party