From the historical and enchanting region of France emerged a multitude of notable family names, including that of the distinguished Noblet family. Originally, the people in this region went by one (personal) name. Surnames evolved during the Middle Ages when people began to assume an extra name to avoid confusion and to further identify themselves. These names then began to become "fixed" or hereditary between the generations. One of the types of names adopted as surnames were those derived from nicknames. Nicknames, or "eke-names," were an added name that generally reflected some physical characteristics or other attribute of the person that used the name. The Noblet surname derives from the Old French word "noble," meaning "high-born," "distinguished," or "illustrious;" and as such was a nickname
for a person of noble birth, but perhaps also ironically for someone of low station.
Early Origins of the Noblet family
The surname Noblet was first found in Burgundy (French: Bourgogne), an administrative and historical region of east-central France, where the family has been traced to early times.
Early History of the Noblet family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Noblet research.Another 150 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1439, 1558, 1576, 1650, 1699, 1715, 1730, and 1734 are included under the topic Early Noblet History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Noblet Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Noblet, Noblets, Noblat, Noblay, Noblé, Noblée, Noblés, Noblées, Noblais, Nobleais, Noblait, Noblaits, Noblays, Noblai, Noblaie, Noblaies, de Noblet and many more.
Early Notables of the Noblet family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Noblet Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Noblet family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Noblet Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Tobie Noblet, who arrived in New Orleans in 1848
- Tobie Noblet who settled in New Orleans in 1848
- Emile Jules Noblet who arrived in Virginia in 1883
- Emile Jules Noblet, who settled in Norfolk, VA in 1883
Noblet Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Jean-Baptiste Noblet who settled in Québec in 1758
Noblet Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Joseph Noblet, aged 31, a labourer, who arrived in South Australia in 1852 aboard the ship "Caucasian" CITATION[CLOSE]
South Australian Register Tuesday 3 February 1852. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) BARQUE CAUCASIAN 1852. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/caucasian1852.shtml
Contemporary Notables of the name Noblet (post 1700)
- Marie-Élisabeth "Lise" Noblet (1801-1852), French ballet dancer
- Geffery Noblet (1916-2006), Australian cricketer who played in 3 Tests from 1950 to 1953
- Adrien Noblet, Australian missionary to New Caledonia
Noblet Family Crest Products
- ^ South Australian Register Tuesday 3 February 1852. (Retrieved 2010, November 5) BARQUE CAUCASIAN 1852. Retrieved http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/australia/caucasian1852.shtml