Nieuwenhuis History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Dutch surname Nieuwenhuis is derived form the word "huis," which referred to a stone structure, rather than a modest wooden home. As a surname, Nieuwenhuis was likely given to someone who lived near, or was the proprietor of a new 'huis,' or home; or it may have been a habitational name, taken on from a place so named.
Early Origins of the Nieuwenhuis family
The surname Nieuwenhuis was first found in the Netherlands.
Early History of the Nieuwenhuis family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nieuwenhuis research. Another 38 words (3 lines of text) covering the year 1582 is included under the topic Early Nieuwenhuis History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nieuwenhuis Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nieuwenhuis, Neinhuis, Nienhues, van Niewenhuyse and many more.
Early Notables of the Nieuwenhuis family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Nieuwenhuis Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In Netherlands, the name Nieuwenhuis is the 204th most popular surname with an estimated 6,182 people with that name. 
| Nieuwenhuis migration to the United States ||+|
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nieuwenhuis Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Anton Nieuwenhuis, age 47, Grietje Nieuwenhuis, age 45, and Hendrik Nieuwenhuis, who all arrived in New York in 1851, aboard the ship, the "Elisia Denison"
- Arend Jan Nieuwenhuis, aged 16, who arrived in New York, NY in 1851 
- Grietje Nieuwenhuis, aged 45, who landed in New York, NY in 1851 
- Hendrik Jan Nieuwenhuis, aged 13, who arrived in New York in 1851 
Nieuwenhuis Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Hiebeltje Nieuwenhuis, aged 27, who landed in America from Tzum, Holland, in 1907
- Enne Cornelis Nieuwenhuis, aged 30, who landed in America from Tzum, Holland, in 1907
- Wietsche Nieuwenhuis, aged 3, who landed in America from Tzum, Holland, in 1907
- Bertha Nieuwenhuis, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Kampen, Holland, in 1910
- Yan Nieuwenhuis, aged 75, who settled in America from Ybeeg, Holland, in 1913
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
|Contemporary Notables of the name Nieuwenhuis (post 1700) ||+|
- Kirk Nieuwenhuis (b. 1987), American Major League Baseball outfielder for the New York Mets
- Pim Nieuwenhuis (1976-2008), Dutch sailor at the 2008 Summer Olympics
- Ferdinand Domela Nieuwenhuis (1846-1919), Lutheran preacher, the Netherlands' first prominent socialist
- Anton Willem Nieuwenhuis (1864-1953), Dutch explorer who crossed Borneo (1896 to 1897)
- Jacques Nieuwenhuis (b. 1980), Namibian rugby player
- "Most Common Last Names in Netherlands." Forebears, https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)