Nicotera History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Nicotera surname is a habitational name, taken on from the name of the city of Enna in Sicily.
Early Origins of the Nicotera family
The surname Nicotera was first found in Catania the chief town in the province of Catania in Sicily. It was founded in 729 B.C. by natives of Naxos. In 476 B.C. it was invaded by Syracusians. Then it became a Roman colony under Augustus. It was sacked by the Saracens in 902, taken by the Normans in 1087. It was heavily bombed during WWII and was the site of stiff resistance in 1943. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Nicotera family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nicotera research. Another 87 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1477, 1573, 1715, and 1787 are included under the topic Early Nicotera History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nicotera Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nicotra, Nicosia, Nicotera, Nicotri, Nicoteri, Niccotra, Niccotera, Niccoteri and many more.
Early Notables of the Nicotera family (pre 1700)
Another 29 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Nicotera Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nicotera migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nicotera Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Concetta Nicotera, aged 26, who settled in America from Piedimonte, Italy, in 1910
- Francesco Nicotera, aged 39, who immigrated to the United States from Pianopoli, Italy, in 1910
- G. Battista Nicotera, aged 18, who immigrated to the United States from Cortale, Italy, in 1910
- Giuseppe Nicotera, aged 40, who immigrated to the United States from Borgia, Italy, in 1911
- Angelo Nicotera, aged 23, who settled in America from Feroleto, Italy, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Nicotera (post 1700) +
- Giovanni Nicotera (1828-1894), Italian patriot and politician, eponym of the Italian destroyer Giovanni Nicotera
Related Stories +