Neto History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The mountainous borders of Spain contain the origins of the prestigious surname Neto.The original bearer of the name Neto, which is a local surname, once lived, held land, or was born in the beautiful region of Spain. In Spain, hereditary surnames were adopted according to fairly general rules and during the late Middle Ages, names that were derived from localities became increasingly widespread. Local names originally denoted the proprietorship of the village or estate. The Neto family originally lived in the northern Spanish province of Navarra. The place-name Navarra is derived from the Basque word "nava," or "naba," which means "plain near the mountains."
Early Origins of the Neto family
The surname Neto was first found in Aragon, an important Christian kingdom of medieval Spain.
Important Dates for the Neto family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Neto research. Another 211 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1137, 1148, 1170, 1180, 1229, 1238, 1282, and 1469 are included under the topic Early Neto History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Neto Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Navarro, Navaro, Navarra, Navarre, Navarrolas and others.
Early Notables of the Neto family (pre 1700)
Notable bearers of the family name Neto were sixteenth century Spanish engineer and officer Pedro Navarro; sixteenth century Spanish dramatist and actor Pedro Navarro; eighteenth century Spanish naval officer Juan José Navarro; Felipe Navarre, eighteenth century Spanish painter; nineteenth...
Another 38 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Neto Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Neto migration to the United States
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Neto Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- A Neto, aged 33, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1836 
Contemporary Notables of the name Neto (post 1700)
- Geneton Moraes Neto (1956-2016), Brazilian journalist and writer
- João Leithardt Neto (1958-2015), nicknamed Kita, a Brazilian footballer who competed in the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Antônio Meneses Neto (b. 1957), Brazilian cellist
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)