Nelly History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Nelly family
The surname Nelly was first found in Austria, where the name Nelle became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Nelly family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Nelly research. Another 100 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1709, 1717, and 1855 are included under the topic Early Nelly History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nelly Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Nelle, Nellen, Nell, Neille, Nelli, Nellenburg, Nellen, Nellessen, Nellie, Nelly, Nellenberg, Nellberg and many more.
Early Notables of the Nelly family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Nelly Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Nelly migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Nelly Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- John Nelly, who settled in Maryland in 1658
- John Nelly, who landed in Maryland in 1658 
Nelly Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Jane Nelly, who settled in Charles Town, SC sometime between 1767 and 1768
Nelly Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Catherine Nelly, aged 60, who landed in Maine in 1812 
- James Nelly, aged 20, who arrived in Maine in 1812 
- Edward Nelly, who settled in Philadelphia in 1817
- Louis C. L. Nelly, who arrived in New York, NY in 1820
- James Nelly, who settled in New Orleans in 1849
Contemporary Notables of the name Nelly (post 1700) +
- Nelly Beatriz Bonnet (1930-2020), Argentine film and television actress and comedian
- Nelly Olin (1941-2017), French politician, Minister of Environment in France
- Nelly Arcan (1973-2009), born Isabelle Fortier, a Canadian novelist
- Nelly Adamson Landry (1916-2010), Belgium female tennis player
- Nelly Maes (b. 1941), Belgian social liberal politician
- Nelly Kilpatrick (1759-1820), Scottish daughter of John Kilpatrick, the miller and his wife Jane Reid, often referred to as Robbie Burn's first love who he referred to as "Handsome Nell", a "bonnie, sweet, sonsie lass"
- Nelly Kim Furtado (b. 1978), Canadian singer-songwriter, record producer and actress
- Nelly Beltrán (1925-2007), Argentine actress
- Nelly Roussel (1878-1922), French feminist activist
- Nelly Kaplan (b. 1936), Argentine filmmaker and writer
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)